Engaging Imagination

This book really resonated with me as it relates to my particular experience of teaching so far.

Ideas around the imagination in learning, creating a dialogue between yourself and the students, engaging your own imagination and theirs in the learning process, being able to excite and inspire but also go through the harder elements of study, not letting learning get too comfortable.

I went into some classes this year with a whole plan of how I wanted the lesson to go and what I wanted the students to learn, only to find that what I thought was relevant to their course was actually not and the lesson that I had prepared was not keeping them engaged and interested. I had to scrap what I had planned and just start talking to the students to find out what they were working on currently in their module and what would be more useful and interesting for them. I then spoke to them in groups and I would provide direct assistance with whatever those in the group needed. This became a repetitive method of teaching for me, I decided to split my lessons in two, delivering some content to the students and then going round the room and working more closely with each student, or groups of students on particular queries. I even got some really positive feedback specifically on this method of teaching by the students in the end of term feedback report.

James, A. and Brookfield, S. (2014) Engaging Imagination: Helping Students Become Creative and Reflective Thinkers. Jossey-Bass

One Reply to “Engaging Imagination”